Thursday, September 26, 2013

so.. what happened?

One of my favorite repeated moments was hopping on the motorbikes in a skirt, tying a scarf around my head, extending my hand to receive the helmet, placing my bag on my lap, and letting the breeze wash over my face, and sometimes having to yell, "GO SLOW". Glory! Here's a brief clip.
First motorbike ride in Rwanda
Goofing off after crying session
The tears came my last evening with the ladies. We sat at a favorite restaurant eating chicken brochettes while watching Serena Williams get her act together in the championship game. They gave me gifts and an extemporaneous time of encouragement occurred. I had an epiphany of the mountain these ladies are climbing- competing with Americans raised in privilege is no small feat. I recalled my move to the U.S. as an adolescent and discovering I had to compete against people who grew up there and had mastered the educational system. Tears streamed down a few faces, especially the ones who attempted this process last year and didn't make it. 

They are fighting their way upstream against the cultural tide of contentment and the 'American southern'/african mindset-women finish school, marry, have babies'.

My heart swelled with great pride in their endeavors. Admission into U.S. schools or not, they are already champions simply because they entered the ring. I promise you- they will be the next Rwandan leaders, in business, healthcare, gov't, NGOs. 


AG on the left and COO on the right. We're tall women.
Bonnette and I met with the COO and AG of Human Capital and Development of Rwanda Development Board (RDB) the day before my departure to request formal internships for OAD scholars. This connection took place thanks to Kelly Uphoff who chased the CEO down and asked for her contact info.

RDB facilitates all business activities coming in and out of Rwanda. Amazing work they do and the ladies wanted to work there, so when we met with these sagacious men, they immediately saw Bonnette's competence and great poise. In the next few weeks, some of the girls should be interning at RDB. One big step for OAD.
View from top of RDB

It has been 2 weeks since I returned. Seems a bit surreal that I was just in Rwanda teaching young women and discussing world affairs with them, and eating pastries with Susan Mbabazi at a local Korean shop and now I'm sitting in class finishing up my last MPA year. I will return because there are still critical lessons to be learned about how His excellency, Kagame (Father of the nation) & others, moved that country into the state it is today. So impressive, and yet I desperately hope his children (the next generation) build on the foundation he laid. 

A wise woman once said, 'a thousand words cannot equate to firsthand experience'. I firmly agree. If Rwanda isn't on your bullet list, favor yourself and add it quickly. 

Thank you for living vicariously through my last 2 months, praying peace and strength for me, and supporting OAD ladies through constant support and encouragement. Stay tuned for future endeavors.

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I will stay tuned! Great post, Frances. Good luck this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Frances,
    Deb here. I'm Charlotte Mugisha's mentor (Whitman College in WA). We met in SF at the OAD mentors gathering before you left for Rwanda. I've appreciated your blog and hearing about the next group of scholars. Thank you.
    I hope we can stay in touch and that I can introduce you and Charlotte someday, too.
    All my best,
    Deb Lamfers 707-781-9811

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Yes, the girls have their work cut out for them, but I think they'll be fine. Like I said, women are more intelligent than men.
    It reminds me of these lines

    "You can take a ride through this life if you want
    But you can't take the edge off the knife (no sir)"
    -- Limp Bizkit - "Take A Look Around"

    Take care. :-)

    Dayo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dayo, I don't have your email. I hope you're well. I wanted to respond to your entry. How's rwanda still treating you? feel free to email me..

      Delete