Friday, July 19, 2013

RWANDA, I come to you


On my way to Kigali, Rwanda. Join me as I step foot on the motherland. My heart is excited to breathe in African air, see vibrant sites, and teach Rwandan's future women leaders. Sent out by an amazing organization called OpenADoor foundation which was started by a passionate, visionary woman named Barbara Bylenga, I will prepare 6 young women to take the TOEFL and SAT tests so they achieve high scores and gain admission and scholarships to U.S. colleges. Check them out http://www.openadoorfoundation.org

My visit to Uganda 3 summers ago is marked by an experience at the market. I go in to buy my father a Nigerian Green Eagles (soccer) jersey. Business as usual, I barter as I turn on my nigerian aggressiveness. Eventually the store owner says, 'Madaam, we don't do like dat here. if you don't like price, you leave'. Appalled as it dawns on me that I am in a different culture where the general temperament is calmer than that of Nigeria. I take the price and leave. lesson learned-don't assume all places with black faces are alike.

Recently I was told Rwandans are calmer than Ugandans. Can this be? This Nigerian blood will have to dial it down a few. It is even law to wear helmets when riding on motorbikes in Kigali. I may be in for a shock. 

One Africa- Multiplex Cultures. I find it is imperative to avoid assumptions.




Traditional Rwandan baskets hand woven by women.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! You are a blessing wherever you go. And I loooove those baskets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances I think is great !! Guess I will learn how to blog, thank you for adding me, I am behind you and will be praying, for your trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in tears reading about your journey to our motherland, thank you for feeding my soul. Senait

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love and positive energy is what I am sending to my dear Frances! Safe journey ...

    ReplyDelete