Wednesday, July 24, 2013

a traveler's journey





It can be unnerving when one awakes in the Ethiopian airport to the sudden presence of over a hundred Bangladesh UN police officers sitting, talking, laying all around you. Goodness me. At least I felt I would be protected from airport robbers.

The trick when traveling alone and have long layovers is to make friends with the least suspicious looking person, (usually families) so you can eventually say, 'could you watch my things as I run to the bathroom'. It's VERY inconvenient pushing your carry on, backpack, jacket, AND pillow into the tiny airport bathroom stalls. it's like moving around with your entire family...slowly, but surely.


Cairo, Egypt
Last week I read the News headline, "Egypt In Crisis", so what does one do on an 11 hour layover in Cairo? Explore the city, naturally. Crazy? Perhaps. Great idea? I certainly think so.
Interesting time for a visit as they are in the middle of Ramadan, a time of fasting from food and liquid, praying to Allah till 7pm. A tradition both young and old partake in. At 655pm, people began pulling out food and preparing to eat. You gotta be ready for that 7:00pm ding.

A demonstration as a form of protest led to road blocks. Ironically it seemed peaceful, at least on the surface. Egypt, a land rich and vast in history, a land where malevolent drivers go out of their way to reprimand another for driving poorly, much like Nigeria, though more pungent. Nevertheless, kind children with gorgeous eyes running the streets and amazing hospitality by market men.


A store owner in Egypt spits out this quote to me as I stroll along. 'I don't know what you're looking for but I have what you need, even happiness. Seriously.'

I was nearly tempted to stop and ask: 'sir, how much would happiness cost?'
Al-Hussein Mosque, named after Muhammad's grandson. Built in 1154.

An acquaintance who lives in Egypt said this as we discussed the United States' hand in Middle East affairs and the consequential protests: 'Intervention of the United States has never been for the good of the people'.

For many, this matter evokes deep and at times dichotomous responses.


What are your thoughts??


Stay tuned for life in Rwanda..next. Today begins my first day of teaching these young women who have overcome catastrophic situations. I cannot wait.



2 comments:

  1. 'sir, how much would happiness cost?'

    I'd like to know.

    Can't wait to hear how these women impact you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures. Enjoy your time there :) Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete